Specific protection for your rental properties

As a landlord, you will need a particular type of insurance for properties you rent out to tenants. This cover usually includes the same type of protection as your usual house insurance, such as cover for buildings and contents in the event of a range of circumstances.

However, you should consider if you need certain extra cover as a landlord, including cover for:

  • Non-payment of rent
  • Damage to your property (by the tenant)
  • Loss of earnings/rehousing costs if the tenants have to move out (following an insured event)
  • Liability for accidents in your property causing injury

Do I need landlord insurance instead of regular house insurance?

If you want to rent out a property, there's currently no legal requirement that states that you must have insurance. However, if you have a buy-to-let mortgage on your property, your lender may specify that you need to have insurance.

It's certainly worth considering a policy designed specifically for landlords. A standard home buildings or contents policy may not take into account the potential risks that landlords face, such as loss of rent and accommodation costs, should your tenants move out after an insured event, or cover your liability as a landlord.

HomeLet's Insurance for landlords

With 30 years of experience in the industry, we've developed a bespoke range of products to meet landlords' insurance needs.

Landlord tips:

When it comes to being a landlord, there's much more to consider than how much rent you can charge. We know it can be a confusing time, so we've created some landlord tips to help you out:

Enjoying our content?

Get the latest letting news, views and tips from HomeLet straight to your inbox.