- 2016 to date has seen a slower rate of rental growth, compared to the same period last year
- The average UK rental value was £913pcm - this is 3.1% higher than the same period last year (£885pcm) and a reduction in the rate of increase seen in August 2015 (5.6%)
- Rents in Greater London are up by 2.7% year on year – a drop in the rate of increase seen in August 2015 (7.7%)
- Average rental values have increased in eleven out of twelve regions in the UK, compared to the same period last year
Find out more
- View the latest HomeLet Rental Index report
- View the latest press release: Rental growth sustained across UK during August
August’s HomeLet Rental Index incorporates a methodology redesigned in conjunction with a professor at the London School of Economics. The updated methodology factors in important elements, such as property type and geography, to create mix adjusted averages. This makes Britain’s most comprehensive rental market benchmark even more insightful. The new methodology has been applied retrospectively to our historical rental market data to ensure that the Rental Index can continue to be used to provide analysis of trends in the private rental sector.
Sign up to receive the latest updates
Enter your details below to receive updates on the latest findings from the HomeLet Rental Index.
For information regarding the HomeLet Rental Index please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For media enquiries relating to the HomeLet Rental Index please email email@example.com
About HomeLet Rental Index
The index and average prices are produced using HomeLet’s mix adjusted rental index methodology. This helps to track the representative rental values over time, which factor in changes in the mix of property types and locations of rented properties.
Data is gathered from our tenant referencing service, and our rental amounts are based on actual achieved rental prices with accurate tenancy start dates in a reported month, rather than advertised costs. The data used in the HomeLet Rental Index is aggregated to regional, county and city level only. This ensures that all property or individual records remain strictly anonymous.
The HomeLet Rental Index is prepared from information that we consider is collated with careful attention, but we do not make any statement as to its accuracy or completeness. We reserve the right to vary our methodology and to edit or discontinue this report. The HomeLet Rental Index may not be used for commercial purposes; we shall not be liable for any decisions made or action taken in reliance upon the published data.