What is Landlord Buildings Insurance?

Landlord Buildings Insurance is a type of insurance that provides cover against damage to the structure of the building of a landlord’s rental property including the walls, floors and roof. It also protects against damage to permanent built-in features, such as a fitted kitchen or the bathroom

Do I need to take out Buildings Insurance for landlords?

Landlord Buildings Insurance is specifically designed for those who rent out to tenants and has been created to offer peace of mind. However, it’s not a legal requirement to take out this type of insurance.  It could however, be a condition of your mortgage on your rental property.

Why should I take out Landlord Building Insurance?

As a landlord, your property is a huge investment. You are responsible for repairing damage to the building’s structure as well as ensuring the essential services such as the plumbing, gas and electrics, and central heating are all working properly.

It’s important you protect yourself, and your investment, from problems that arise. If you don’t have a suitable buildings insurance policy, you could find that you have to foot the bill for expensive repair work. When you have the right cover, you can rebuild or repair your property without having to find the funds yourself.

Also, what would happen to your tenants if your property was suddenly uninhabitable? When you choose HomeLet, you’ll find that our buildings insurance for landlords also covers the costs of alternative accommodation or loss of rent and re-letting costs for up to two years after an insured event.

In addition, if having Landlord Buildings Insurance is a condition of your mortgage and you don’t take out any cover, you could be putting your mortgage and the property at risk. It’s worth double-checking the conditions of your mortgage to make sure you’re meeting them and if required, finding the landlord buildings cover that’s right for you. 

What does Landlord Buildings Insurance from HomeLet cover?

If you need to make a claim, landlord Buildings Insurance from HomeLet will cover the cost of the repairs and the rebuilding of your property if the damage to your property was by:

  • Fire
  • Aircraft
  • Lightning
  • Explosion
  • Collision or impact
  • Falling trees
  • Earthquake
  • Theft by forcible means
  • Subsidence
  • Ground heave
  • Riot/civil commotion
  • Storm or flood
  • Malicious acts (not by tenant)
  • Oil leakage or escape of water

It’s important to be aware that you’ll only be covered for accidental damage and malicious damage by the tenant if you have opted for these types of optional cover as part of your policy.

What are the main features and benefits?

As well as covering the rebuild of your property against the events as stated above, our buildings insurance also offers:

  • Unoccupied properties
    For buildings and contents cover you have full cover for 90 days when your property is unoccupied between tenancies. . See more about this in the Common Questions section below.
  • Loss of rent and alternative accommodation
    Following an insured event, we cover loss of rent and your re-letting costs or costs of alternative accommodation for up to two years rent (not exceeding £50,000).
  • Emergency Assistance Insurance included as standard
    Emergency Assistance Insurance which includes emergency cover for the sudden and unexpected failures of certain items at the property. Boiler cover is also included for an additional charge. To find out more about this insurance, read more in the section below.
  • Trace and access 
    In the event of an escape of water, we provide cover for the cost of locating the point of escape, repairing and making good for up to £5,000.
  • Metered water and gas charges 
    Following loss caused by damage to the apparatus, after the point of the service feed, to the insured property for up to £1,000.
  • Emergency access 
    We cover damage to your property following emergency access as a result of a medical emergency for up to £1,000. 
  • Cover for your liability 
    As a landlord, it’s your responsibility to comply with current legislation. This helps to make sure that your tenants are living in a safe environment. However, we know that accidents can sometimes happen and that’s why we provide you with liability cover. This covers things like the costs and expenses of litigation, compensation and solicitors’ fees.

Our Liability cover includes:

  1. Legal Liability as Owner up to £5,000,000.

  2. Occupiers Legal Liability and worldwide Personal Liability up to £5,000,000.

  3. Legal Liability as Employer: Public Liability up to £5,000,000 and Employers Liability up to £10,000,000.


As well as providing comprehensive cover, you can enjoy a saving of 15%* when you buy online.

Get in touch for your Landlord Building Insurance quote.

*Our prices are 15% cheaper when you buy online. This discount applies to Landlord Buildings Insurance and our Landlords Contents Insurance for furnished properties only. We reserve the right to review or withdraw this offer at any time.. 

What is Emergency Assistance Insurance?

We include this as standard with Landlord Buildings Insurance, and it gives you and your tenants access to a 24-hour helpline. This helpline can be used in an emergency if the problem is causing ongoing damage, the property has been made unsecure, or the safety of the tenants is at risk. A qualified contractor will then be contacted on your behalf and the costs associated with a call out will be covered up to a maximum of £500

What isn't covered?

There are some things our Buildings Insurance doesn’t cover you against, such as damage caused by general wear and tear. For example, if the property is damaged because of frost or vermin, you’ll not be able to put in a claim.   For a full list of the policy exclusions please refer to the policy wording. 

How much does it cost?

How much you pay for your policy depends on several factors, such as what type of property you’re renting out; the property’s size; and the area it’s located in. Also, there are several other factors, such as what your building has been made of and if you’ve made previous claims, that will also be considered and can have an impact on your premium. If you’d like a quick quotation to get an idea of how much you can expect to pay, simply fill in your details here.

Should you decide to add some optional extras to your cover, this could affect the overall cost of your policy, too. Here are the add-ons that you can choose from:

Accidental damage

Accidental Damage cover is available at an additional charge and includes accidental and malicious damage by the tenant. This optional extra covers:

  • Up to the sum insured for loss or damage to your property caused by accidental damage.
  • Accidental damage to service pipes, cables and inspection costs for which you have accepted responsibility which service your property.
  • Accidental damage to fixed water pipes and tanks caused by internal stress due to freezing, overheating or excessive water pressure.
  • Up to the sum insured for loss or damage to your insured property caused by malicious act of the tenant.

Boilers and heating

Landlord Emergency Assistance Insurance is included as standard as part of our Landlord Buildings Insurance. You can choose to include our Boiler and Heating option for an additional charge. This includes cover for emergencies arising from the sudden and unexpected breakdown, failure of, or damage to the boiler and central heating system in your rented property. It is important to remember that this is not a maintenance service.  It is designed for emergency circumstances only and you must keep your boiler in good repair and serviced annually.

Variable excess

Our Landlord Buildings Insurance has variable excess levels. These are £100, £250, £500 or £1,000, for some insured events, there are certain set excesses. We also have a Nil Excess option. The Nil Excess option includes the removal of the standard £1,000 Subsidence Excess.

How to get insured  

Whether you’re looking for insurance for your first rental property or you’re an established landlord who wants to switch, our team is on hand to help arrange your insurance. There are two ways to get insured with HomeLet: online and over the phone.

If you’re buying online, you can easily search on your desktop or select what you need from your mobile.

Get a quote using the button below to start the process:


Call our insurance specialists…

Give us a call and one of our friendly team will be happy to either answer any questions you might have about our cover, or help arrange your insurance over the phone.

  • 0800 035 8258

We're open from 8:30am-6:30pm Monday to Friday and 9:30am-1pm Saturday - we're always happy to help.

How long are you covered for?

Your landlord buildings insurance covers you for 12 months. After this period, your policy will renew unless it is cancelled by you. You can find your exact start and end dates in your insurance documentation.

Making a Claim

If you need to make a claim on your policy, call 0330 333 7230. Our expert claims handlers are there to guide you through the process. It helps to have your policy document to hand, as well as any reference numbers (for example, if you reported the incident to the police). It’s also useful to know the times and dates of the incident, exactly what happened, how much you’re claiming for, and the details of everyone involved.

The lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Find out more about making a claim.

Common questions

Here are some questions that are frequently asked about Landlord Buildings Insurance:

Do I need landlord buildings insurance if I live in the property?

If you let out part of your property, ordinary buildings may not be the cover you require. Before you take out insurance, please inform us if you live in the property so that we can discuss your policy options to see if they are right for you. To find out more about the differences between Landlord and Home Insurance, see our Tips for Landlords section.

What if my property is unoccupied?

Once you have a policy with us the  buildings and contents will still be covered if your property is left unoccupied up to a maximum of 90 days. This offers you peace of mind in knowing that your policy will not automatically become invalid in between lettings. Cover for malicious acts, theft, escape of water or oil, and accidental damage are excluded after the property has been left unoccupied for more than 90 consecutive days.

If you are thinking of getting a quote but your property is unoccupied, if your main intention is to let it out to a Tenant we may be able to offer a policy in these circumstances.

For a comprehensive list of what exactly is included in your cover and what’s excluded, you should refer to your policy wording and insurance schedule. If you have any questions or would like to arrange a specific type of cover, please get in touch with our experienced and helpful team

General exclusions and policy documents

It’s important that you understand exactly what we provide cover for. We’d recommend that before you buy one of our insurance policies, you read through the policy wording to ensure that you understand the full exclusions, limitations and conditions of the policy.

Here’s our summary of some of the items that aren’t covered by our Landlord Buildings Insurance policy:

  • Cover for malicious acts, theft, escape of water or oil and accidental damage are excluded after the property has been left unoccupied for more than 90 consecutive days.
  • Cover restrictions and terms may apply to properties unoccupied at inception of a policy
  • Accidental Damage cover will only apply if the Accidental Damage option is taken.
  • Malicious damage by tenant(s) is not automatically included under the standard policy cover. This cover is only available if the Accidental Damage option is taken.
  • Liability as Employer cover is restricted to cover staff employed under a contract of domestic service in relation to the insured property.

If you want to know more about this policy, please refer to the full policy wording. 


Get your quote today

As experts in providing Landlord Buildings Insurance in the UK, this cover has been designed to protect your let property. We offer comprehensive insurance for landlords at a competitive price.  



Get your FREE no obligation quote today

HomeLet Landlord Buildings Insurance has been designed to protect your let property. We offer comprehensive cover for landlords at a competitive price.  

Get a Quote