At HomeLet, we offer two types of content cover for landlords. They are:
Full Contents Insurance
This includes specialist cover for any furniture, fixtures and garden items that you provide with your property. It also comes with an automatic cover for bathroom sanitary ware and kitchen fixtures and fittings where the insured property is owned on a leasehold basis. You can select the cover level, which starts from £10,000 and includes the following:
- Cover for carpets, curtains, sun blinds, light fittings, furniture such as beds, wardrobes, sofas, coffee tables and white goods
- New-for-old replacement of insured items • Cover for contents if you temporarily remove them (up to 20% sum insured)
- Loss of rent or re-letting costs you may be faced with after insured damage (up to 30% sum insured)
- Full cover for properties left unoccupied for up to 90 consecutive days
- Emergency Assistance Insurance
- Legal liability as owner, occupiers legal liability, worldwide personal liability and public liability (up to £5,000,000)
- Employers' liability (up to £10,000,000)
- Variable excess level
- The additional option to include cover for loss or damage caused by accidental damage or by a malicious act of the tenant
To give you further reassurance, we offer optional extras for this policy. You can include cover for accidental damage, including malicious damage by the tenant. We also provide a boiler and heating option extension to the emergency assistance cover, which gives protection for emergencies arising from sudden and unexpected breakdowns or damage to boilers and heating systems.
Limited Contents Insurance
Our limited contents policy provides up to a maximum of £5,000 of cover for the costs of repair or replacement of carpets, blinds, curtains, white goods and light fittings. When compared to our Full Contents Insurance Policy, it does not include the following:
- Any other domestic furniture and furnishings belonging to the landlord
- Emergency Assistance Insurance
- Cover for kitchen fixtures and fittings and bathroom sanitaryware (for leasehold properties)
- Variable excess levels
- The additional option to include cover for loss or damage caused by accidental damage, including malicious acts of the tenant
Both of our policies offer cover on a new-for-old basis following loss or damage caused by storms, fire, flooding, oil leakage, escape of water, lightning, aircraft, collisions or impacts, explosions, falling trees and earthquake, subsidence, heave, theft by forcible means, and riots/civil commotion.
As well as compensating you for the replacement or repair of insured items, these contents insurance policies will cover your loss of rent and re-letting costs, or costs of alternative accommodation, up to 30% of the contents sum insured if the property also become uninhabitable due to the insured damage. Additionally, these policies provide full cover for properties that are unoccupied for up to 90 consecutive days, which can be especially important if there are breaks in the occupancy of your property.
As an added benefit, your items are covered for up to 20% of the contents sum insured while they are temporarily removed from your property for repair, cleaning or similar purposes. Also, these landlord contents insurance policies cover the loss of oil and metered water or gas, as well as the replacement of locks following key theft.