Guide to surviving Uni Life - Part 1

Moving into your own place – or with your mates – is one of the best parts of student life. So, with the big day approaching, we’ve put together a guide to a few key things you need to know when you unlock the door to your new home. We also have an essential moving checklist, to make sure you have everything covered. 

  • Sort out the bills
    If you’re privately renting, you’ll probably have to pay your own bills. Decide what share of the bills everyone must pay, and whose name the bills will be in. You’ll need to budget to pay your share of the gas, electricity and water as well as things like a TV licence, internet, and contents insurance.
  • Make sure your valuables are protected
    A fifth of student robberies take place in the first six weeks of the academic year*. If you have valuables such as computers, gadgets, musical instruments, decks, or a bike, make sure you take out contents insurance to protect your possessions. Our insurance has been designed with tenants in mind, so get a quote here.
  • Buy some essentials
    If you’re lucky, your uni halls came with all the mod cons that you needed. Now you’re in a house of your own, you’re going to need to buy a kettle, a tin opener, loo roll, and countless other little bits and pieces. Get shopping!
  • Know how to contact your landlord or managing agent
    Your landlord is responsible for most repairs. They can also give you advice on how you control your heating or how you use the washing machine. Keep their details handy in case you need to contact them urgently.
  • Apply for your Council Tax exemption
    If everyone in your household is a full-time student, then you don’t have to pay Council Tax. You may have to fill in a form to let your local council know that you’re exempt from paying the tax.

    Understand your rights and responsibilities. Students in private rented accommodation have the same rights as other tenants. You also have the responsibility to pay the bills, not disturb your neighbours, and maintain the property in good order. Tenant Liability Insurance can be handy as this ensures that you’re covered in case you accidentally damage the property or your landlord’s fixtures and fittings.
  • Buy a TV licence
    Do you watch or record programmes as they are being shown on TV? Do you watch live online TV services such as All4 or YouTube? Or are you one of the 63% of students that uses the BBC iPlayer**?

    If so, you’ll need to make sure that you have a TV licence for your property. If you have a separate tenancy agreement for your room, you’ll need your own TV Licence too. If you have a joint tenancy agreement for an entire house or flat, you’ll probably need one licence to cover the whole property. To find out more visit:

To download and print the Guide to surviving Uni Life - Part 1 here.

* The Complete University Guide, year to May 2012
** TV Licensing research 2015-2016

Share this tip: