Moving into your own place – or with your mates – is one of the best parts of student life. 

So, with the big day approaching, we’ve put together a guide to surviving uni life, explaining a few key things you need to know when you unlock the door to your new home. We also have an essential moving checklist to ensure you have everything covered. 

Sort out the bills

If you’re privately renting, you may have to pay your own bills. Decide what share of the bills everyone must pay and whose name the bills will be in. You’ll need to budget to pay your share of the gas, electricity and water, a TV licence, internet, and contents insurance.

Make sure your valuables are protected

A fifth of student robberies occur in the first six weeks of the academic year. If you have valuables such as computers, gadgets, musical instruments, decks, or a bike, consider taking out contents insurance to protect your possessions. We’ve designed our insurance with tenants in mind, so get a quote here.

Buy some essentials

If you’re lucky, your uni halls came with all the mod cons that you needed. Now you’re in a house of your own; you’ll need to buy a kettle, a tin opener, a toaster, and countless other little bits and pieces. Get shopping!

Know how to contact your landlord or managing agent

Your landlord is responsible for most repairs. They can also advise you on how to control your heating or how the washing machine works. Keep their details handy in case you need to contact them urgently.

Apply for your Council Tax exemption

If everyone in your household is a full-time student, you don’t have to pay Council Tax. You may have to fill in a form to inform your local council that you’re exempt from paying the tax.

Understand your rights and responsibilities.

Students in private rented accommodation have the same rights as other tenants. You are also responsible for paying the bills, not disturbing your neighbours, and maintaining the property in good order. Tenant Liability Insurance can be handy as this ensures that you’re covered if you accidentally damage the property or your landlord’s fixtures and fittings.

Buy a TV licence

Do you watch or record live TV? Do you watch live online TV services such as All4 or YouTube? Or are you one of the 63% of students that uses the BBC iPlayer?

If so, you’ll need to ensure that you have a TV licence for your property. If you have a separate tenancy agreement for your room, you’ll need your own TV Licence too. If you have a joint tenancy agreement for an entire house or flat, you’ll probably need one licence to cover the whole property. Click here to find out more.

Still not feeling adequately prepared?

Don’t worry – this is just part one of three! Click here to read part two and learn more essential tips for moving to university.