What is Tenants Liability Insurance?

Tenancy Liability Insurance, also known as Tenants Liability Insurance for UK renters provides protection for tenants who are currently renting a property. It insures you in the event of any accidental damage to items that belong to or are provided by your landlord in the property. This includes cover for your landlord’s furniture, fixtures or fittings that are already present in the property you’re renting such as a fitted kitchen, carpets, bathroom fittings and any furniture they provide you, that you are liable for as part of your tenancy agreement such as;

  • Furniture
  • Fixtures & Fittings
  • White Goods
  • Carpets & Soft Furnishings
  • Integrated Appliances i.e. oven, fridge etc

Can Tenancy Liability Insurance protect against Deposit Deductions? 

One of the main benefits is that this cover can help protect you against deposit deductions.  By covering the cost to fix items you may have accidentally damaged, as it happens, you can minimise potential deposit disputes or deductions at the end of your tenancy.

You can take out Liability Insurance for Tenants whether you’ve just decided to move to a rented property, or you’ve been a tenant at your current address for a little while. To find out more about the cover provided by HomeLet’s Tenancy Liability Insurance Policy, read on.

It’s important to note that any malicious act, theft or attempted theft by you, a member of your family or anyone else you allow into your home is not covered by Tenancy Liability Insurance.  Damage caused by wear and tear isn’t covered either.

Is Tenants Liability Insurance a legal requirement?

You may be wondering: ‘Is Tenant Liability Insurance mandatory in the UK?’ The simple answer is, no, it’s entirely optional.  You may have adequate funds to fix your landlord’s items if you accidentally damage them.  However if you don’t, and don’t want to risk the cost to fix items to potentially be taken from your deposit, Tenancy Liability Insurance may be something you might want to consider.

How much cover does HomeLet's Tenancy Liability Insurance give me?

When you take out Tenancy Liability cover with us, you’ll be insured for up to £10,000 as standard. This will cover the cost of any repairs or replacements that are required for damaged fixtures, furniture or fittings that belong to your landlord. You can also upgrade this policy to our Tenants Contents Insurance including Tenancy Liability to cover both your own belongings, up to £50,000 as well as up to £10,000 cover for your landlords’ items, from an award winning trusted Tenants Insurance provider.

How much does Tenants Liability Cover cost?

At HomeLet we offer a fixed price Tenancy Liability policy for a standard £10,000 of cover for £8.50 per month*.

Get a Quote >

You can upgrade this policy to our Tenants Contents Insurance incorporating Tenancy Liability from £11.00 per month which will also include Contents cover for your personal possessions up to the value of £50,000.

This price does include Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) but it doesn't include a monthly admin fee of £1.99 if you choose to pay for your policy monthly.

How much cover do I need?

Other providers may offer Tenants Liability Policies at a lower cost, but with reduced levels of cover so it's up to you to decide what is a suitable amount of protection for your needs.

Before you decide what cover you’ll need, look carefully at the fixtures, fittings and contents that belong to your landlord in the property. If you’ve decided to rent a furnished or part-furnished home, you’ll need to think about all the furnishings that are already there, for example, the sofa and the bed to the tumble dryer and the coffee table, these items can quickly add up!  You’ll also want to consider that the cost to fix the items may also include the cost of labour of a tradesperson, not just the items themselves.  For example, if you accidentally damage the carpet and a replacement is necessary, you’ll need to factor in the cost of the carpet fitter’s labour.

Tip: Make sure the Inventory is accurate

When you’re calculating the amount of Tenants Liability Cover you may need, a fully accurate and detailed inventory is key to understanding the value of items your Landlord provides for you, and what you are responsible for under your tenancy agreement, should damage occur. To find out more about inventories, read our Tenants Guide to Inventories Blog.

Key issues covered

So, what does Tenancy Liability Insurance cover? Since January 2013, £3.6 million has been paid out under our HomeLet Tenant Insurance policies. Here are some common issues that we’ve paid out for under the HomeLet Tenancy Liability policy:

  • Tenant has fallen over in shower and cracked tray
  • Chip pan fire - damage to kitchen and bathroom
  • Nail accidentally pierced pipe.  Damage caused to walls and flooring
  • Jar dropped on hob, and with the damage the unit needed to be replaced

Can I get an upgrade?

This policy can easily be upgraded from the Tenancy Liability cover to our full Tenants Contents Insurance. This includes the same level of cover, but also adds contents protection for your own belongings, up to the value of £50,000. This means that as well as providing insurance against damage to your landlord’s property, your personal possessions are also protected.  Our Tenants Contents Insurance also gives you the flexibility to add on a variety of cover options such as Accidental Damage, Specified items and Away from Home cover (to name a few).  See our Tenants Contents page for more details.

For example, if you keep your laptop in the apartment you’re renting and it’s stolen, you’d be covered.  If  you opted to include our Accidental Damage extension, then you’d also be covered if something was accidentally damaged, i.e. you dropped your mobile phone. This Tenants Contents cover is similar to home contents insurance, but has been designed specifically for renters.   

How do I get insured?

If you think you'd like to go ahead and take out some cover there are two main ways you can get insured with HomeLet.  Firstly, you can buy it online. Our site has everything you need to arrange your cover quickly and with no fuss.  

Get the ball rolling by getting a quote using the button below, it should only take 2 minutes.

Get a Quote >


If you'd prefer to have a chat about your cover and have our Tenancy Liability Insurance explained in full, give us a call and one of our team will be ready and waiting to answer your questions.  We can also arrange your insurance policy over the phone.

  • 0800 035 8258

We're open from 8:30am-8pm Monday to Friday and 9:30am-1pm Saturday.

We're here for you, online or on the phone

We understand buying insurance can be easier to talk it through with someone, an expert who can help you through the process.  At HomeLet, we give you the option whether to buy/contact us online or if you'd prefer to speak to a real person, we're here for you, 8:30am to 8:00pm Monday-Friday and 9:30 to 1:00pm Saturday.

Extending or cancelling

Our Tenancy Liability Insurance is available for a period of 12 months. After this time, you can renew your policy for 12-month terms until you decide to cancel it.

Perhaps you’ve taken out this policy, but you’ve changed your mind? You have 14 days by law from either the purchase date of the policy or the date on which you receive the policy documents (whichever is later) in which to cancel, free of charge. If no claim has been made during this period, we’ll provide a full refund.

Should the 14 days have passed and you want to cancel, you can do so at any time by calling us on 0800 035 8258 (selecting option 2). Providing no claim has been made, we’ll refund a percentage of your premium calculated in proportion to the period of cover that remains unused.

If you’re moving house, your policy can go with you – even if you buy your own home.

Making a claim

In the event that you need to make a claim on your Tenants Liability policy, we’ll be on hand to help you every step of the way.

You can call our claims line on 0330 333 7230. The lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

Find out more about making a claim  

Feefo Platinum Merchant 2020

feefo platinum service 2020 tag light Tenant LiabilityWe have been awarded as a Feefo Platinum merchant for 2020, this means our rating has been above 4.5 out of 5 throughout the entirety of 2018 and 2019. Our Tenants Insurance, available across the UK has been given a customer experience rating of 4.7 out of 5 by 7,047 of our customers, through independent feedback from Feefo.

To read more renters insurance reviews, you can see feedback from our customers on our Feefo page.



How is this different from my security deposit?

Tenants Liability Insurance is not a replacement for your security deposit.

The cover is designed to reduce the risk of deductions from your deposit.  It pays out for some of the most common reasons a landlord might keep your money at the end of your tenancy.  It's worth noting that you shouldn't leave it until you move out to make a claim.  Most insurance providers give a maximum of 30 days after the incident for you to make one.

It won't protect you for deductions from your deposit where you haven't paid all your rent or utility bills, or don't leave the place sufficiently clean. To find out more tips about how to minimise deposit deductions, and regain your security deposit in full, read our guide here.


* Tenancy Liability Insurance  costs £8.50 per month when buying online. Contents Insurance incorporating Tenancy Liability starts at £11 per month; these prices include Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) at the current rate, as set by HMRC. Please note that a monthly admin fee of £1.99 will be payable if you choose to pay for your policy monthly. 

HomeLet is a leading supplier of Landlord Insurance, Tenant Referencing and Tenant Insurance. HomeLet is a trading name of Barbon Insurance Group Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance distribution.