Back to all stories

iStock 000004233348Small

HomeLet urges landlords to ensure their gas appliances are safe

Posted on 2012-09-04

Last month David MacDonald was sentenced to six months in prison (suspended for two years) ordered to carry out 200 hours of community service and pay £8211 in costs after a family who rented a flat from him suffered carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty gas boiler that hadn’t been checked for over two years.

HSE inspector Kevin Shorten told Safety & Health Practitioner that the safety failings could easily have caused multiple fatalities. He said: “Carbon monoxide can kill quickly without warning, and approximately 20 people die each year as a result of poisoning from gas appliances and flues that haven't been properly installed, maintained, or that are poorly ventilated. Had a neighbour's carbon-monoxide alarm not sounded, the family could well be among that number.

“As a landlord, David MacDonald is legally responsible for the safety of his tenants. In relation to gas checks and in failing to properly maintain the boiler, he placed them, and others, in grave danger.”

Ian Fraser, Managing Director of HomeLet supports this saying; “Landlords must, by law, make sure gas appliances in their rental properties are maintained, have a gas safety check carried out every 12 months by a registered Gas Safe engineer and give tenants a copy of the current Landlord Gas Safety Record.”

Ian Fraser continues, “We here at HomeLet urge every landlord to check they have a Current Gas Safety Certificate for the gas appliances in all of their properties. If landlords don’t ensure their gas appliances are safe, they could end up with up to a £20,000 fine, imprisonment, harm their tenant’s health or even potentially kill them through Carbon Monoxide poisoning. If you are a landlord and unsure of your responsibilities when it comes to gas safety, please visit http://www.hse.gov.uk.

For the full SHP article please visit: http://www.shponline.co.uk/incourt-content/full/landlord-s-gas-boiler-neglect-put-family-in-danger

Most Popular Stories

HomeLet Landlords Advice eBook blog

Landlords Advice eBook Part Two: free download

Read more

Blog archive

Subscribe to the Landlord Lowdown